It really has been a pretty darn excellent year for gaming, it started of with a lot of disappointment *cough* ToR *cough* but has built up dramatically to produce some excellent gameplay and experiences, and maybe even some long term classics. And here’s my list of favourites which I think may be missing some unfortunately as time factors are always a part of gaming especially when mmo’s are in the picture, and there are a few well acclaimed titles that I haven’t gotten around to playing yet.
- Atom Zombie smasher – no words to describe
- Crusader Kings 2 – strategy at some of its absolute best
- Dungeon Defenders – great game that filled many hours
- Far Cry 3 – shooting in a crazy sandbox (but not quite) island
- FTL – awesome rogue like spaceship command
- Guild Wars 2 – for the beginnings of excellent pvp
- Journey – an experience that truly warms the soul
- Pixel junk Eden for PC – beautiful artistic vision
- Planetside 2 – pew pew
- Secret World – some of the best atmosphere, story and characters around… completely immersive if you give in to it
- Stacking – great aesthetic and style with simplistic puzzle elements
- Trine 2 – one of the most aesthetically pleasing games out there, bright vibrant backdrops with excellent contrast
- XCOM – enthralling Turn based strategy, as long as your on Ironman
I would also like to give a shout out to Tera which crafted some of the most amazing group encounters which were the most fun and challenging times I have ever had as a healer. They had well crafted mechanics, great use of action gameplay and I never once thought I was being unduly punished based on RNG. It was always up to me to learn the fights, remember mechanics and execute it to the best of my abilities… then throw in all the team based stuff on top of that and some of the best and most rewarding boss fights you’ll ever have be they Open world Bams (extra fun on the PvP server) and dungeons, that is if you can stomach the leveling process.