ooo. HUge range of posts to read covering a great collection of topics. Loving the revolt against levels at the moment as it is something that needs to change for mmo’s to evolve. A lot of talk about community again with a focus on the value of opinions and social change.
AND GOOOO.. Link dead Radio is on the air
A discussion around levels and their usefulness popped up again and there were a few great discussions about it.
- MMO Quests Looks at level locked content and the feelings of progression it provides but also the restriction that make it cumbersome
- Weekly Wizardry wonders if Levelling is even needed in our end game focused mmo’s.
- Level Capped Looks at the difference between reward and goal based level design. How simple changes , and removing primary restrictions can make it feel more open yet still provide incentive.
Next were several in depth, and personal discussion on opinions and elements of conflict within the gaming community.
- Game Introspection looks at the commalities between each other and opinions, and notes that we should be creating connections based on these rather than causing conflict based on differences .
You gain a common language for communicating with others who understand this art and a new way to develop a connection with someone else.
- MMO Gypsy gives a recount of this year in gaming and the nature of social change that is occurring. A sense of foreboding but also hope felt within the community.
- Liore Has a rather moving piece about feelings of inclusion and involvement within the community… and now I haz sads
- Murf articulates in the way he does best on the nature of opinions, the conflict and the value of exploration and self discovery that comes from experiencing the alternative.
The hate, anger, and vitriol have to go. Opinions are funny things precisely because we fight over them, never stopping to recognize that we each have to live our own lives and walk our own paths.
Continuing on into other themes now we have
- Inventory Full, who is getting a little forlorn with thought on the nature of change in mmo’s, how things change and the personal impact of them.
- Alternative Blog discusses being restricted in play by a focus on the numbers. How individuality and variances in classes and specs do have value beyond the numbers, whether that’s due to utility or just preference. MMO GYpsy had a reply rant too about that brand of number based idiocy.
- Ten Ton Hammer had a post you might want to check out to regarding the evolution of mmo gaming. The changing technology, the level grinds and next-gen ideas
hunnn.. hide yo wallets from this one
Satellite Reign – Syndicate reborn.. you know, the good version
2014 in 2 minutes
Drawn to death – fps arena thingy. meh
Talos Principle – puzzles and stuff
Kiai Resonance – Samurai dueling
Chaos Reborn – turn based rpg thingy
Starbound Winter Trailer
What remains of Edith Finch
Great talk about the nature of play and elements of science and psychology. Thanks to Thinking Play for this vid
And lastly there are a lot of vids worth watching over at the Playstation blog from the Playstation experience Event. It covers a huge range of topics and games